Download 35.51 Kb.
ST. VINCENT COLLEGE
SIS AND HERMAN DUPRÉ SCIENCE PAVILION
SECTION 13 34 56 - PLANETARIUM DOME
PART I - GENERAL
A. Drawings and general provisions of the Contract, including General and Supplementary Conditions and Division 1 Specification Sections, apply to this Section.
1.02 SECTION INCLUDES
A. Pre-Fabricated planetarium dome; see drawings for size.
1. Outer dome shell.
2. Radius curved metal studwork, with 6” batt insulation and curved drywall finish.
3. Inner projection dome.
B. Re-installation of existing planetarium dome – Alternate.
1.03 RELATED SECTIONS
A. Section 05 40 00 – Cold Formed Metal Framing, outer dome.
B. Section 05 50 00 - Structural Steel.
C. Section 06 61 00 - Rough Carpentry.
D. Section 07 20 00 – Insulation, sound insulation in outer dome.
E. Section 09 29 00 – Gypsum Board, curved drywall, outer dome.
F. Division 26 - Electrical
G. Section 07 61 00 – Sheet Metal Roofing; outer dome (ADD#1)
A. Shop and Installation Drawings: Submit detailed specifications for the components, assembly and installation drawings, operating instructions, electrical and maintenance information.
B. Provide a materials list of all components included with the dome and wall kits, including a list of components to be furnished by the Contractor for installation.
1.05 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Manufacturer shall provide on-site technical field representative to advise and assist the Contractor during installation.
B. At the completion of the project, manufacturer shall provide one day of on-site training to the University's operating personnel on use and maintenance of the planetarium dome.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.02 MANUFACTURERS OF INNER PERFORATED DOME
B. Spitz, Inc. Chadds Ford, PA 610-459-5200 www.spitzinc.com
2.04 INNER PERFORATED DOME
A. Work by General Contractor
1. Before installation of the projection dome, the entire room in which the installation is to be made must be clean, free of dust and dust-producing surfaces, and free of debris or other obstacles. Additional completed work shall include, but not be limited to:
a. Completion of load-bearing supports and/or suspension and lateral tie eyebolts.
b. HVAC and filtration systems purged and operational.
c. Sound insulation installed.
d. Speakers hung and positioned (unless speakers are attached to dome or supplied by dome contractor). Final positioning not required if catwalks allow access with dome installed.
e. Electrical work completed.
f. All surfaces and equipment behind the dome painted flat black.
g. Once the dome has been installed, carpeting, seating, and other interior finishes, not including drywall and the finishing of drywall, will be completed by General Contractor.
h. No dust-producing activities shall take place in the theater after installation of the projection surface.
i. General Contractor shall supply all equipment necessary to unload and transport dome materials to the theater chamber.
j. General Contractor shall supply sufficient temporary electrical power and lighting for dome erection.
1. The support frame of the dome shall consist of primary longitudinal members that divide the dome into 20 gores, and primary latitudinal members that divide the dome into three (3) zones. Primary members shall be 6061-T6 aluminum tubing measuring 1.75x1.25x0.125in rolled to an inner radius of 144.00±0.50in. Secondary 1.00in tubular, Grade 1008 steel chord members shall be employed to maintain the desired geometry of the frame. 5/16-18 Grade 5 hardware shall be used in conjunction with 0.31in thick 6061-T6 gussets to secure member junctures.
2. The frame's structural integrity shall allow the dome to maintain its desired geometry and be self-supported when mounted at its base to a load-bearing structure, or when suspended.
3. The dome shall be reinforced to allow for chain suspension. If the dome is chain suspended, the dome contractor shall provide chains and all suspension hardware except for eyebolts. The General Contractor shall provide suspension and lateral tie eyebolts. The dome contractor shall provide drawings defining eyebolt locations to the owner, architect, and general contractor.
4. Frame members shall be degreased and finished matte, flat black prior to installation. Hardware shall be painted matte, flat black during installation.
5. The depth of the frame shall be no more than 6.00in from the projection surface, resulting in a clearance envelope of 150.00±0.50in.
6. The frame shall be capable of supporting at least one person without causing plastic deformation to the frame or panels, or visible projection surface distortion.
7. The frame shall be capable of supporting a reasonable amount of theater equipment as determined by the General Contractor and the dome contractor. Equipment may include, but not be limited to, speakers, projectors, catwalks, ladders (both fixed and rolling), lights, and insulation.
1. The inner skin shall consist of 51 stretched-formed, perforated, 0.040in thick, 5052-H32 aluminum panels. Panels shall be stretched-formed over a compoundly curved die. An array of 0.063in diameter holes on 0.125in staggered centers shall render the panels 23% void. A powder-coated finish shall supply the desired optical characteristics as described below. Panel edges shall be coincident with primary frame members, permitting attachment with 0.125in blind fasteners on 4.00in centers.
2. Panels shall butt on the center of primary frame members and shall be backed with a black material of negligible thickness. The black material shall have a zero-degree incident gain of no more than 0.01 before and after installation. Seams between panels shall be no more than 0.02in.
3. Panels shall be degreased and powder coated prior to installation. Panel fasteners shall be pre-finished to match the panel gain, and touched up with computer-matched paint during installation.
D. LED Cove Trough
1. The LED cove trough shall be 360 degrees in plan and consist of a base plate and fascia. The fascia shall be spaced 4.00in from the inner surface of the dome. Both the inner and outer surfaces of the trough shall be finished flat black.
2. The base plate of each segment shall be made from 0.090in thick 6061-T6 aluminum sheet, with an inner radius of 140.00in and an outer radius of 145.75in. The fascia shall be 2.50in tall and shall be made from 0.063in thick 6061-T6 aluminum sheet. The fascia shall be attached to the base plate via rolled 1.00x0.50x0.125in aluminum tube and 3/32in round head rivets on 6.00in centers.
3. The outer radius of the trough shall be coincident with the outer radius of the dome base ring, permitting attachment to the bottom side of the dome base ring using 3/16in round head rivets on 12.00in centers. Each trough segment shall be machined at both ends so as to permit attachment to each other via a lap joint and 3/32in round head rivets on 3.00in centers. The lap joint shall render the base plate and fascia joints light tight.
1. The dome contractor shall coordinate dome installation with the general contractor so as not to delay the general building schedule.
2. Dome parts shall be manufactured and packaged so that they may be carried through standard double door openings.
3. The dome contractor can analyze the dome for seismic considerations at additional cost to the owner.
4. The dome (frame and panels) shall weigh approximately 1200lb.
F. Projection Surface Characteristics – Optical
1. The projection surface shall be suitable for viewing bright projected scenes with high resolution, true color, and high contrast. The surface shall maintain specified reflectance values and exhibit no gloss characteristics when subjected to a projected image or light under typical viewing angles.
2. The projection surface shall be pre-finished with a powder-coated, achromatic finish, and shall have an overall reflectance of 0.65, or a mutually agreed upon finish.
3. Should the factory-applied projection surface finish be soiled, marred, scratched, burnished, or otherwise disfigured by the dome contractor during or prior to completion of all work under these specifications, the dome contractor shall correct such disfigurement.
G. Projection Surface Characteristics – Flame Spread
1. ASTM E-84 Flame Spread Tests were conducted on powder coated perforated panel samples. The tests returned a Flame Spread rating of 15, and a Smoke Density rating of 10. To obtain a Flame Spread Classification, the above results should be compared with the Table 1 below:
Table 1 – Flame Spread Classification
Building codes cited: National Fire Protection Association, NFPA No. 101, "Life Safety Code", 1988 Edition and Uniform Building Code, 1988 Edition, Part VII, " Fire Resistive Standard for Fire Protection", Sections 4201-4203.
H. Acceptance Test Procedure
1. The dome shall be examined with a bright light (supplied by dome contractor) to evaluate installation workmanship prior to the removal of the scaffolding. The dome contractor shall correct workmanship issues.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
A. The manufacturer's representative must examine the substrate and the conditions under which the work is to be installed and notify the contractor in writing of any conditions detrimental to the proper and timely installation of the work. Do not proceed with the work until unsatisfactory conditions have been corrected in the manner acceptable to the manufacturer.
A. Set all items in their correct locations as shown in the details level, square, plumb, at proper elevations and in alignment with other work in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions and approved shop drawings.
B. All joints between dome and the building structure shall be flashed and sealed in order to secure a water tight installation.
C. Install all components under and in direct supervision of a manufacturer's qualified representative.
E. If existing dome is to be re-installed, work to include transporting dome components to jobsite, re-assembling dome, cleaning, priming and painting dome unit.
3.03 PROTECTION AND CLEANING (AFTER INSTALLATION)
A. Metal and surfaces shall be cleaned, on both interior and exterior. After being cleaned, all work shall be protected against damage until it is accepted by the Architect.
END OF SECTION
13 34 56 - (45307035)